Trial Opens For Man Accused of Brutal Attack Outside Waikiki Bar - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Trial Opens For Man Accused of Brutal Attack Outside Waikiki Bar

By Minna Sugimoto

HONOLULU (KHNL) -- A California man accused of brutally attacking another tourist outside a Waikiki bar is on trial for attempted murder. Attorneys delivered opening statements Tuesday.

Prosecutors say the victim suffered brain injuries, and is permanently disabled.

Defendant Ryan Carrillo traveled to Hawaii to watch the Pro Bowl last year. He and his friends went to Moose McGillycuddy's on Lewers Street, and got into an altercation with Jesse Greenwood.

Surveillance video shows the dispute continued outside. Carrillo is accused of striking Greenwood from behind and knocking him to the ground, causing his head to slam into the pavement.

"A this point, Jesse, unable to walk," Chris Van Marter, deputy prosecutor, said about the victim's condition. "He can't go to the bathroom by himself. He can't dress himself. He's wheelchair bound."

But the defense argues the victim was the instigator.

"The evidence will be that he wouldn't stop that night," Michael Green, defense attorney, said. "The groping, the wanting to fight, the coming back to this group, the rolling around on the sidewalk with them. This is a mean drunk."

Prosecutors acknowledge the victim had been drinking, but say alcohol did not cause him to fall or get injured.

The non-jury trial continues Wednesday.

Job Link 8 Featured Jobs
Powered by Frankly