(KHNL) -- The Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency advises residents down-wind of Pu'u O'o and Halema'uma'u to be on the alert, take precautions and prepare for an evacuation.
According to National Weather Service forecasts, southeast winds are expected. If so, high levels of sulfur dioxide will be carried by the winds.
The areas affected will be:
- Mauna Loa Estates
- Ohio Estates
- Volcano Village
- Keauhou Ranch area
- Volcano Golf Course subdivision
Civil Defense urges residents of these areas to be on alert, and to evacuate as a precaution. An evaucation shelter has been established at Aunty Sally's Luau Hale.
Those evacuating are advised to bring the following:
- Bedding (blankets, sleeping bags, etc.)
- Change of clothing
- Special medications and needed medical equipment
- Infant necessities (formula, diapers, baby food, etc.)
- Personal toilet articles and sanitary needs