No Bail For Man Accused of Murdering Toddler - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

No Bail For Man Accused of Murdering Toddler

By Minna Sugimoto

HONOLULU (KHNL) -- A man accused of murdering a Honolulu toddler last month will be held without bail pending the outcome of his case.

Prosecutors on Wednesday asked a judge to revoke Matthew Higa's bail, which was originally set at $1 million.

The attorney for Matthew Higa says the accused toddler killer is in isolation at the Oahu Community Correctional Center.

"He's basically locked down by himself, I think, pretty much 23 hours a day," Randy Oyama, defense attorney, said.

"All rise.  Court is reconvened," a court clerk announced.

Prosecutors ask a judge to keep Higa locked up.  They call him a drug addict, a flight risk and a danger to the community.

Witnesses say he threw a boy off a pedestrian overpass January 17th.  Twenty-three-month-old Cyrus Belt died on the H-1 Freeway below.

Higa's lawyer wants a panel of mental health experts to evaluate his client.  He believes the 23-year-old was suffering from a mental disorder at the time of the incident.

"I never asked him too many particular questions about what happened, what he was thinking about, or how he feels about it in that regard because I don't want to disrupt any kind of a mental analysis that may go on later on," Oyama said.

But he says Higa previously showed signs of mental problems.

"There was some behavior that, you know, didn't seem normal to his family that prompted them to take him into Queen's (Medical Center)," Oyama said.  "I don't know what their policy is.  But obviously, you know, something terrible happened after he was released."

He says that hospital visit was on December 11th, which is more than a month before the toddler's murder.

The Queen's Medical Center has said it can't comment about its patients, and that it doesn't discharge anyone who's unstable.

Higa's trial is set for March, but will likely get pushed back.

Job Link 8 Featured Jobs
Powered by Frankly