Cause of Fire in McCully Due to Unattended Candle - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Cause of Fire in McCully Due to Unattended Candle

HONOLULU (KHNL) -- Fire investigators say the apparent cause of a fire that badly damaged an apartment in McCully Wednesday morning was due to an unattended candle on a family altar.

Officials say combustible materials nearby allowed the fire to quickly spread through the bedroom and the rest of the apartment.

It happened about 7:20 Wednesday morning at 742 Hauoli Street.

Eight fire companies fought the flames in one of four downstairs apartments.

The fire and smoke damaged a single downstairs unit.

The occupant was home at the time of the fire but was not hurt.

Officials say there was no smoke detector in the unit.

Total damages to the structure and content is $225,000.

Job Link 8 Featured Jobs
Powered by Frankly