House Fire In Nanakuli Caused by Unattended Stove - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

House Fire In Nanakuli Caused by Unattended Stove

Captain Frank Johnson Captain Frank Johnson

NANAKULI (KHNL) - Fire investigators say a two-alarm house fire in Nanakuli that left six people homeless was caused by an unattended stove.

Officials say the stove was left on.

Honolulu firefighters responded to the fire on Kahau Street just before 1 AM Tuesday. 

Medics treated one resident with minor injuries.

Honolulu Fire Captain Frank Johnson says the house did not contain any smoke detectors.

"The occupants awoke to the smell and the sound of fire. There were no smoke detectors in the house," said Johnson.  "And the Honolulu Fire Department continues to stress that people have a working smoke detector in every bedroom at the very minimum and to test them regularly to make sure they work in a situation like this."

The fire caused $250,000 in damage to the structure and $50,000 to the contents.

Job Link 8 Featured Jobs
Powered by Frankly