Gas Leak Injures One

KAPAHULU (KHNL) - Contractors working at the new Safeway site on Kapahulu Avenue sparked a gas leak.

According to fire officials, contractors were trying to hook up a natural gas line when it sparked and created a fire. According to witnesses, flames were shooting up into the air. One contractor suffered minor injuries.

The Honolulu Fire Department had the fire under control within 20 minutes.

The Honolulu Police Department coned off a 200-foot radius along Kapahulu Avenue, rerouting traffic along the side streets.