Calucag Learns Punishment for Stealing Dead Man's Identity - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Calucag Learns Punishment for Stealing Dead Man's Identity

Kristi Elwin Kristi Elwin
Luis Soltren Luis Soltren

Sep 7, 2007 06:02 PM

By Minna Sugimoto

HONOLULU (KHNL) -- Tears and anger fill an Oahu courtroom during a man's sentencing Friday. Henry Calucag Junior was convicted of stealing the identity of a Kauai man who was found dead in the Philippines.

A convicted thief sits in court, hoping the judge will have mercy on him. But family and friends of the victim describe Henry Calucag Junior as a cold and deceitful man.

"At no time did he show any kind of empathy or care or concern or remorse for anybody, for our family," Kristi Elwin, victim's sister in law, said through tears.

Prosecutors say the 58-year-old used forged documents to take possession of land on Kauai belonging to his long-time friend, John Elwin.

"He is a small, little, cowardly man, a man who preyed on someone who gave him nothing but love and trust," Luis Soltren, victim's friend, said.

Last year, authorities in the Philippines found Elwin's body with multiple gunshot wounds.

"It's painful to constantly be reminded of the circumstances," Chris Elwin, victim's brother, said through tears.

"At this stage of the game, your honor, there's no indication that Mr. Calucag had anything to do with the cause of death of, number one, Mr. Elwin or anybody else," Mark Kawata, defense attorney, said.

Calucag doesn't address the court because he's appealing the verdict. The judge sentences him to 30 years in prison.

"I think 30 years is a fair sentence," Chris Elwin said after the hearing. "And I hope the agencies continue with the investigation and we find out who murdered John."

Calucag received a mandatory minimum of ten years in prison because he's a repeat offender.

Five members of the jury that convicted him back in June returned to court Friday to hear his sentence.

  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • Philippine policeman: Villagers refused advice to flee storm

    Philippine policeman: Villagers refused advice to flee storm

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 7:37 AM EDT2018-09-18 11:37:16 GMT
    Tuesday, September 18 2018 12:10 PM EDT2018-09-18 16:10:03 GMT
    (AP Photo/Aaron Favila). Philippine Police Senior Inspector Heherson Zambale walks at the site where victims are believed to be buried in a landslide set off by Typhoon Mangkhut as it lashed across Itogon, Benguet province, northern Philippines, Tuesda...(AP Photo/Aaron Favila). Philippine Police Senior Inspector Heherson Zambale walks at the site where victims are believed to be buried in a landslide set off by Typhoon Mangkhut as it lashed across Itogon, Benguet province, northern Philippines, Tuesda...
    A Philippine police officer says he tried to persuade residents of a mining camp to move to safety as a typhoon approached, but they appeared unconcerned and refused to leave a day before the storm triggered a huge...More >>
    A Philippine police officer says he tried to persuade residents of a mining camp to move to safety as a typhoon approached, but they appeared unconcerned and refused to leave a day before the storm triggered a huge landslide that buried dozens of people.More >>
  • Trump imposes tariffs on $200B more of Chinese goods

    Trump imposes tariffs on $200B more of Chinese goods

    Monday, September 17 2018 6:57 PM EDT2018-09-17 22:57:00 GMT
    Tuesday, September 18 2018 12:00 PM EDT2018-09-18 16:00:04 GMT
    The tariffs will start at 10 percent and rise to 25 percent starting Jan. 1. (Source: AP Photo/Ben Margot)The tariffs will start at 10 percent and rise to 25 percent starting Jan. 1. (Source: AP Photo/Ben Margot)

    Trump intensifies trade war by imposing tariffs on $200B more of China goods starting next week.

    More >>

    Trump intensifies trade war by imposing tariffs on $200B more of China goods starting next week.

    More >>
  • Residents, businesses brace for rail construction through urban core

    Residents, businesses brace for rail construction through urban core

    Tuesday, September 18 2018 11:40 AM EDT2018-09-18 15:40:10 GMT

    Rail disruptions will be moving deeper into the city as crews start a four-year, $400-million project to relocate utility lines in the city center section.

    More >>

    Rail disruptions will be moving deeper into the city as crews start a four-year, $400-million project to relocate utility lines in the city center section.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly