So how can you prepare your home in case a possible hurricane hits?
- As a hurricane approaches, be sure that your home meets safety levels. If they don't, relocate to a nearby safer structure.
- But if your home does meet safety levels, secure and cover all windows and door openings with boards, shutters or other shielding materials.
- Secure, or bring inside, all lawn furniture and other outside objects that could become a projectile in high winds.
- Garage doors are frequently the first home feature to fail. Reinforce garage doors so that they are able to withstand high winds.
- And if an evacuation is issued, do so immediately. And notify neighbors and family members outside of the warned area of your evacuation plans.
For personal protection, prepare a checklist of items you need.