Spontaneous Combustion Cause of Kalaheo House Fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Spontaneous Combustion Cause of Kalaheo House Fire

KALAHEO, Kauai (KHNL)  - A rag saturated with teak oil that was left in a laundry basket was determined to be the source of a Kalaheo house fire Thursday night.

The fire was confined mostly to the 150-square-foot laundry room where it originated. It also burned small portions of exterior support beams, exterior walls, as well as the roof.

Damage to the home and its contents is estimated to be $25,000.

The fire was reported at 9:45 p.m. and was quickly knocked down by firefighters.  It was deemed under control at 9:57 p.m. and fully extinguished at 11:50 pm.

No one was home at the Puu Road residence at the time of the fire.

Powered by Frankly