NANAKULI (KHNL) - A building fire on Helelua Street in Nanakuli leaves a couple homeless Monday night. The Honolulu Fire Department received a call for a building fire a little after 8 o'clock Monday evening, but quickly had the fire under control.
According to HFD, the couple -- a male and female in their 50s -- were attempting to put the fire out on their own.
The fire appears to have originated in an upper rear bedroom, according to HFD. The fire was confined to the bedroom of the townhome, but the rest of the unit received smoke and water damage. Neighboring units also received slight water damage. The Red Cross has been called out to assist the family. EMS was called out as a precaution, but the couple refused treatment.