33 Dead In Worst Ever US Shooting Rampage; Possible ID on Gunman

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) - Officials now say there are total of 33 dead following Monday's shootings on the campus of Virginia Tech. Authorities say that number includes the gunman, who killed himself.

Authorities say they've tentatively identified the gunman behind today's shooting rampage at Virginia, but they're not releasing any information yet.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum told reporters that two weapons were recovered, but he declined to describe them.

Virginia Tech President Charles Steger offered reporters a timeline of today's shootings, first at a dormitory, where two people were killed, then at a classroom building, where 30 people plus the gunman died.

Steger says at 9:45 AM Eastern time, there was a 911 call reporting a shooting at Norris Hall, the second crime scene. Steger says when officers arrived there, they found the front doors chained shut from the inside. The officers were able to force their way in. Once inside, they heard gunshots from the second floor. Steger says just as the officers reached the second floor,the gunshots stopped.

It's the single deadliest shooting rampage in US history. Virginia Tech President Charles Steger says two of the deaths were in a coed dormitory called West Ambler Johnston. The other 31 dead, including the suspect, were found in Norris Hall, an engineering building about a half-mile away.

Authorities say the investigation is continuing, and that they have yet to confirm definitively that the two shootings were connected.

Officials say they initially believed that the shooting at the dorm was a domestic dispute, and that the gunman had fled the campus.

Witnesses have described scenes of panic and confusion following today's deadly shootings at Virginia Tech.

Some have said they saw students jumping out of windows of a classroom building to escape gunfire. Other students and faculty members carried out some of the wounded themselves, without waiting for ambulances to arrive.

SWAT team members with helmets, flak jackets and assault rifles were seen swarming all over the campus.