Crews Clear Debris from Rockslide - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Crews Clear Debris from Rockslide

By Kristine Uyeno

NORTHSHORE (KHNL) -  Monday is the first day Kamehameha Highway on the North Shore of Oahu opened to contraflow traffic.

Transportation officials say, it worked well.

Commuters were able to travel on Kamehameha Highway between 4 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. and again from 3 p.m. To 7 p.m.

But in between, it was shut down completely so crews could continue removing the boulders that fell Saturday morning.

So far, workers have hauled away 70 truckloads of rocks and debris to a site in Waipio where it's all being separated.

"We do have a certified archaeologist on site and he just wants to monitor where the soil's going to go," said Scott Ishikawa, spokesperson for the Dept. of Transportation.

Workers will check for any bones in the debris. Transportation officials say there are burial caves there and they're not sure if the rockslide brought any bones onto the road.

They say thankfully, the $7.5 million dollar fence caught most of the boulders.

"Some people said, hey the fence took a beating, but you know, we rather have the fence take the beating rather than somebody get hurt, you know, we can always replace the fence," said Ishikawa.

Once workers do that and clear the road, the highway will reopen. Until then, residents and visitors will need to be patient.

"People have to go around but i'm sure it'll be fixed pretty quickly," said Joan Morse, North Shore resident.

Powered by Frankly