Murder Suspect Released From Hospital, Goes Before Judge

Laurie Yonesaki
Laurie Yonesaki
John Lorenzo
John Lorenzo

HONOLULU (KHNL) -  New court papers describe the terror felt by employees, when a masked gunman stormed into a bar on Kapiolani Boulevard over the weekend. In the end, Daniel Browne-Sanchez, a beloved member of the sheriff's division, was dead.

With mourning bands across their badges, sheriffs prepare to see the man charged with killing one of their own. John Lorenzo is accused of gunning down deputy sheriff Daniel Browne-Sanchez in a botched robbery Saturday morning.

"He'd always be there, you know, for his friends no matter what," Laurie Yonesaki, murder victim's friend, said.

Yonesaki says Browne-Sanchez was her best friend.

"Not to have him there anymore, that's the hardest," she said.

Investigators say Lorenzo walked into the Osake Sushi Bar and Lounge after closing, and held up workers at gunpoint.

According to a police affidavit, one of them, Brian Hasegawa, stated "that he was slow in complying with Lorenzo's order to get down, and that Lorenzo pointed the handgun directly at his head and fired." Hasegawa told police "the bullet missed him, but that he could hear the bullet as it passed by his head."

Court papers say Browne-Sanchez, who worked at the bar part-time, eventually rushed the gunman in an effort to disarm him. Yonesaki says she's not surprised the 27-year-old sacrificed his life to save others.

"I can't picture him having just stood there and done nothing, you know, while his friends are in danger," she said. "There's no way. That wasn't him."

She says he was especially close to his mother.

"He'd talk about his mom," Yonesaki said. "I asked him over the holidays, 'What did you do?' He said, 'Oh, I took my mom to the movies.' You know, how many guys do you know do that kind of stuff?"

Police say Lorenzo got facial and head injuries, when other employees jumped in. His bail is set at $1 million.

"I really want this guy locked away for a very, very long time," Yonesaki said.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Wednesday. Funeral services for Browne-Sanchez are still pending.