Locked Up Grandmother Speaks Out

Ethel Jardine
Ethel Jardine
Tina Jardine
Tina Jardine

(KHNL) - A 75-year-old woman who spent two nights in Honolulu's main police cellblock says animals are treated better than the suspects in lock-up.

Ethel Jardine and two of her family members are charged with burglary. They appeared at District Court Wednesday.

A desire to recover a stolen purse lands three women, including a 75-year-old grandmother, in hot water and a cold cell.

"I feel bad 'cause it was my bag," Tina Jardine, burglary suspect, said. "And my mom and my sister-in-law got in trouble, and we didn't do anything."

Police arrested Ethel Jardine, her 43-year-old daughter Tina Jardine and her 45-year-old daughter-in-law Marion Freitas at a house on Huapala Street in Manoa last Thursday. A 22-year-old woman told investigators the three forced their way in and assaulted her.

Now free on bail, the elder Jardine says she wasn't sure she'd make it out of her cell alive.

"I was so traumatized and my heart was beating so hard," Ethel Jardine, burglary suspect, said. "And I felt, oh no, I hope I don't have a heart attack or anything like that."

She and Tina Jardine say they had never been arrested before and didn't know what to expect.

"I wanted to use the bathroom," Ethel Jardine said. "I had to take the gauze from my hand to clean myself. They had nothing, no toilet paper, nothing there. I mean, they treat you worse than a dog. At least a dog gets water and food."

"The policies we have in place assure that all of our detainees are treated with respect and decency," Capt. Frank Fujii, Honolulu Police Department, said. "It's not uncommon that people charged with serious crimes are less than happy with their experience in our Central Receiving area."

Tina Jardine says officers found items from her stolen purse at the Manoa home. The suspects deny assaulting the young woman.

"They kept all my things for evidence, okay," Tina Jardine said. "They found it in her house. How could she have not been arrested?"

Each of the suspects is free after posting $11,000 bail. A preliminary hearing is expected to take place within 30 days.