HECO Back In The Hot Seat - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

HECO Back In The Hot Seat

Roger Wickenden Roger Wickenden
Doug Carlson Doug Carlson

By Joann Shin

(KHNL) - Officials at Hawaiian Electric face frustrated residents over the lengthy island-wide power outage.

Every electric company in the state answered tough questions from the community.

But Hawaiian Electric got the most heat from many customers who say they still don't have answers.

HECO officials back on the hot seat answering questions about the day the lights went out across Oahu.

Late last week they faced the Public Utilities Commission.

Monday night customers wanted the answers.

"We all make mistakes, we can learn from those mistakes, we should be learning from those mistakes, but if we don't acknowledge those mistakes, we don't learn from them," said Roger Wickenden, a Kailua Resident.

Wickenden was in the dark for 12 hours.

He said, "What we have seen is the sequence of events, but we haven't seen is any analysis of what could have prevented the way it did."

HECO officials say they're working on answers.

They hope to get them by conducting an investigation.

Lynne Unemori with Hawaiian Electric Company said, "We wanted to present the facts that we have today because we know the public had questions."

Doug Carlson questioned HECO's abilities to communicate with its 291,000 customers.

He asked, "What about the communication that can be improved, to keep people informed so we're not all in an information blackout as well."

Tough questions with answers that may not come until the end of the year.

Unemori explained, "We wanted to be able to address their concerns, so we invited them today, so we can hear them and address them when we put together a final report."

  • Hawaii News Now headlinesNewsMore>>

  • Suspect says smashing Trump's star was 'right and just act'

    Suspect says smashing Trump's star was 'right and just act'

    Wednesday, August 15 2018 4:58 PM EDT2018-08-15 20:58:10 GMT
    Thursday, August 16 2018 7:20 AM EDT2018-08-16 11:20:49 GMT
    (AP Photo/Reed Saxon, File). FILE - This photo July 25, 2018 file photo shows Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame that was vandalized, in Los Angeles. The man accused of smashing Trump's star says his actions were a "rightful and just act...(AP Photo/Reed Saxon, File). FILE - This photo July 25, 2018 file photo shows Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame that was vandalized, in Los Angeles. The man accused of smashing Trump's star says his actions were a "rightful and just act...
    The man accused of smashing President Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame called it a "rightful and just act".More >>
    The man accused of smashing President Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame called it a "rightful and just act".More >>
  • Grieving mother noticed 'red flags' leading up to daughter's death in Kona

    Grieving mother noticed 'red flags' leading up to daughter's death in Kona

    Thursday, August 16 2018 5:35 AM EDT2018-08-16 09:35:30 GMT
    (image: Facebook/Joy Mills)(image: Facebook/Joy Mills)

    Hawaii County Police say a couple found dead in a Kailua-Kona apartment complex earlier this month each died from a single gunshot wound. However, authorities say the manner of which 48-year-old Joy Mills-Ferren and 56-year-old Bradley Wood-Ferren died is still under investigation. Mills-Ferren’s mother believes her daughter was murdered on August 3rd, then her son-in-law turned the gun on himself. “I kept telling her, his actions are all red flags.

    More >>

    Hawaii County Police say a couple found dead in a Kailua-Kona apartment complex earlier this month each died from a single gunshot wound. However, authorities say the manner of which 48-year-old Joy Mills-Ferren and 56-year-old Bradley Wood-Ferren died is still under investigation. Mills-Ferren’s mother believes her daughter was murdered on August 3rd, then her son-in-law turned the gun on himself. “I kept telling her, his actions are all red flags.

    More >>
  • White House called toxins contamination 'PR nightmare'

    White House called toxins contamination 'PR nightmare'

    Monday, August 13 2018 1:38 AM EDT2018-08-13 05:38:00 GMT
    Thursday, August 16 2018 5:31 AM EDT2018-08-16 09:31:57 GMT
    Officials are demanding that the EPA act quickly to clean up local water systems testing positive for dangerous levels of PFAS. (Source: Raycom Media)Officials are demanding that the EPA act quickly to clean up local water systems testing positive for dangerous levels of PFAS. (Source: Raycom Media)

    Officials are demanding that the EPA act quickly to clean up local water systems testing positive for dangerous levels of chemicals used in nonstick cookware, fast-food wrappers and much more.

    More >>

    Officials are demanding that the EPA act quickly to clean up local water systems testing positive for dangerous levels of chemicals used in nonstick cookware, fast-food wrappers and much more.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly