Attorney for Accused Coach Fires Back

Frederick Rames with attorney
Frederick Rames with attorney
Frederick Rames (l) with attorney William Harrison (r)
Frederick Rames (l) with attorney William Harrison (r)

HONOLULU (KHNL) -- Fighting words from the lawyer representing a Wahiawa youth soccer coach accused of molesting two boys.

Frederick Rames had his first court appearance Wednesday morning. His attorney says this case is the product of an over-zealous police department which should have done a better job investigating before tainting his client's name.

An embattled soccer coach prepares for the most-important game of his life.

Nearly a week after police yanked him from Kaala Elementary Field in Wahiawa, Frederick Rames sits on the bench -- a courtroom bench -- accused of molesting two boys.

"We will obviously go to trial and prove he hasn't done this crime," William Harrison, defense attorney, said.

"Judge now presiding. Please come to order," the court clerk announced.

The 65-year-old is charged with sexually assaulting a seven-year-old on his soccer team and a 12-year-old who lived in his house as a foster child. Police kicked off their investigation after the younger boy was diagnosed with a sexually-transmitted disease.

"When they held him initially for the 48 hours, he went through a number of tests," Harrison said. "His blood was tested. So ask the detective why we're still here in this case."

"You're saying that he did not test positive?" this reporter asked.

"No, he does not. He does not have any type of diseases whatsoever," he replied.

Police wouldn't comment about Rames' blood test, saying the case remains under investigation. The coach is free on bail.

"I don't want him to say anything at this point. But it's clear that, you know, these types of crimes taint you and tar you forever," Harrison said. "And even when we will, and I say we will, resolve this case favorably, he's still going to be tainted."

The next step is a preliminary hearing, which should take place within 30 days, unless prosecutors decide to present the case to a grand jury.