(KHNL) - A Honolulu man spent a day at the beach and now, he's in the hospital.
Gary Kam is recovering from the flesh-eating bacteria he got two weeks ago.
"The color has come back into my face. I'm more talkative. I can have longer conversations," said Kam.
"It's a bacteria that occurs in the community. It's the same type of bacteria that causes strep throat in children," said Andrew Oishi, Kam's doctor.
On July 23rd, Kam spent the afternoon at Ala Moana Beach. Within a day or two he started feeling feverish and then blisters started appearing on his body. He checked himself into the hospital 6 days after swimming in the waters.
"I believe his infection may have been related to being exposed to a cut at the beach but it can be an infection that occurs anywhere," said Oishi.
The 46-year-old patient says he won't be going near the water anytime soon. But he'll pay much closer attention to his health.
"You know I think I look differently now as far as seeking medical help when something you think might be a minor problem, you know, it might not turn out to be," said Kam.