(KHNL) - Disaster Assistance and Recovery Centers opened Tuesday on both Oahu and Kauai. It's the latest efforts to provide assistance in the wake of the March floods. But so far only a trickle of flood victims have come in looking for help from the government.
Damage from flooding in February, March and early April could exceed $50 million dollars. As a result, Governor Linda Lingle requested the disaster declaration last month. Kerry Smith is among the dozens who have applied for federal assistance.
"I'm here to see what they can offer. Basically the roof was tore up. It was the roof that sustained all the damage. Living here and seeing the end result of 45 days of rain it was, you know I'm in the military, it was pretty upsetting to see homes and areas a lot more damaged than mine," says flood victim Smith.
"Anyone who sustained damage in these counties, in these areas, are able to apply," says Ken Higginbotham of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
During the period between February 20th and April 23rd, severe storms caused flooding, landslides and mud slides across the state. Oahu and Kauai were the hardest hit.
"The rain was definitely something threw everyone off."
Picking up the pieces may take awhile.
"Hopefully not to long because I have a lot of stuff to take care of," says Smith.