Early-morning fire rips through Kapolei townhouse

The blaze killed a pet dog, fire officials say.

Early-morning fire rips through Kapolei townhouse
(Image: Hawaii News Now)

KAPOLEI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A fire that ripped through a Kapolei townhouse early Tuesday, forcing the home’s three occupants to flee and killing a pet dog, was caused by unattended cooking, the Honolulu Fire Department said.

The blaze started at the townhouse on Namahoe Street around 2:30 a.m.

Fire officials said two men and a woman were at home at the time and got out safely. Two dogs were also in the home, but only one made it out.

Crews put out the fire by 3:30 a.m.

The damage to the home and its contents is estimated at $148,000.

The Red Cross says it is helping the affected residents.

After the cause of the blaze was released, HFD urged residents to be aware of the dangers of unattended cooking.

“Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and the second-most frequent cause of death among the elderly,” HFD said, in a news release. “Turn off the heat if you must leave the stove, period.”

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.