1 woman, 2 kids injured after small butane tank explosion on Oahu's North Shore

1 woman, 2 kids injured after small butane tank explosion on Oahu's North Shore
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)

PUPUKEA, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Honolulu Fire officials say at least three people people were hurt following an explosion at Camp Pupukea Saturday afternoon.

Officials say one adult and two kids were injured in the incident that involved a small butane tank, about the size of a spray paint can, Honolulu fire officials said.

Camp Pupukea is a 65-acre Boy Scout camp located on Oahu's North Shore. The incident happened just before 12:30 p.m.

HFD says the cylinder of the butane tank failed, causing the explosion. Butane tanks like the one that exploded are used for stove top cooking outdoors, officials said.

Emergency Medical Services officials also responded to the scene. HFD says a girl suffered burns to her right leg, an adult female had a cut near her eye, and a boy suffered an impact to his leg.

It is not known if any of the victims were hospitalized for their injuries.

"Had a lot of folks around, probably about 30 people around making lunch and one of our dens, was cooking on a small butane stove, cooking a pot of chili, and the stove just exploded," Cub Master, Cub Scout Pack 311 Kailua Jack Jack Shriver said.

The Boy Scout's teach being prepared for emergencies and Shriver says the group had their first aid kits ready to go. He says the stove had been working properly for more than a year.

This story will be updated. 

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.