HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Polynesian Voyaging Society chose to postpone Hikianalia's voyage to California until at least next week because of the uncertainty with Hurricane Hector and weather conditions.
"We are concerned about our crew on the canoe as well as their families being left behind, so we are holding off the launch of this voyage until the risk of this hurricane and any other weather issues have passed," said Nainoa Thompson, president of the Polynesian Voyaging Society.
Lehua Kamalu, Hikianalia's captain, says it's important for the crew to be at home with family until the storm passes, then they can ensure everyone is focused on the voyage.
"To be gone when there's something like that on its way, and knowing that maybe you could've done a few more things to make sure that your family and your home were going to be prepared, the crew really all understood and were part of a decision to wait for the right time," said Kamalu.
When Hikianalia does leave, the 30-day sail will take the canoe through the Great Pacific Garbage Patch to San Francisco.
The California voyage, Alahula Kai o Maleka, will take the crew from Northern California down to San Diego.
The canoe is expected to return home in December.