WAHIAWA, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Honolulu Fire Department has completed their investigation into a Wahiawa house fire that happened Monday night.
A dozen firefighters responded to the home on Nanea Avenue around 9:15 p.m. where they found light smoke coming from the single-story structure.
Fire officials said a neighbor who heard a smoke detector go off got the fire under control by using an extinguisher through a kitchen window.
Firefighters had the fire fully extinguished just after 9:20 p.m.
On Wednesday, HFD said the cause of the fire was accidental. They say combustible items were left on the stove and the burner was inadvertently turned on.
Officials said the woman who lives at the home was not there when the fire started. Four cats who also lived at the home with the woman are still unaccounted for, HFD said.
Damage is estimated at $5,000 total to the home and its contents.