South Sudan's warring leaders invited to meet next week - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

South Sudan's warring leaders invited to meet next week

By SAM MEDNICK
Associated Press

KINSHASA, Congo (AP) - South Sudan's president and rebel leader have been invited to meet face-to-face next week for the first time in almost two years in an effort to end a five-year civil war.

An opposition statement on Wednesday welcomed the invitation by Ethiopia's prime minister for Riek Machar to meet with President Salva Kiir on June 20 and called it a "prudent and timely decision."

Machar fled South Sudan after new fighting erupted in the capital, Juba, in July 2016, ending a brief attempt at peace in which Machar had returned to his role as Kiir's deputy. Machar, who later was put under house arrest in South Africa, hasn't met with Kiir since then.

While South Sudan's government hasn't said whether the president will attend next week's proposed meeting, spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny called the invitation "significant" and told The Associated Press that "anything that brings peace in South Sudan is wanted."

The meeting would be mediated by the East African regional bloc that has led several rounds of failed peace talks. The Intergovernmental Authority on Development last month called for a meeting of Kiir and Machar ahead of an African Union summit on July 1 in Mauritania, saying it would inform a "final decision" on Machar's participation in the South Sudan peace process.

The new invitation comes as pressure grows on the warring sides to end a conflict that has killed tens of thousands and created Africa's largest refugee crisis since the 1994 Rwanda genocide. Both sides have been accused of abuses against civilians, including along ethnic lines.

Early this month the U.N. Security Council adopted a United States-sponsored resolution that threatens an arms embargo on South Sudan and sanctions against six people, including the country's defense chief, if fighting doesn't stop and a political agreement reached. The resolution asks Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to report to the council on that by June 30.

Regional bloc IGAD also has threatened to submit "punitive measures" against violators of December's failed cease-fire in South Sudan, though sanctions would need approval by the bloc's heads of state and government.

Observers offered mixed views on next week's proposed meeting.

"The last time the two leaders agreed to work together under threat of U.S. sanctions, it ended in an explosion of fighting and Riek Machar fleeing for his life through the bush into Congo," said Alan Boswell, a South Sudan conflict analyst. "Now we have a new U.S. administration and it seems we want to try it all again."

The leader of a South Sudanese advocacy group, however, called the Ethiopia meeting a test of Kiir and Machar's responsibility to their country.

"The citizens and world are watching them. The only option they have is to compromise for reaching a peace deal," Edmund Yakani, director of the Community Empowerment for Progress Organization, told the AP.

___

Follow Africa news at https://twitter.com/AP_Africa

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • APNewsBreak: Youngest migrants held in 'tender age' shelters

    APNewsBreak: Youngest migrants held in 'tender age' shelters

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 9:12 PM EDT2018-06-20 01:12:25 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 2:43 AM EDT2018-06-23 06:43:40 GMT
    Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)Nicole Hernandez, of the Mexican state of Guerrero, holds on to her mother as they wait with other families to request political asylum in the United States, across the border in Tijuana, Mexico, on Wednesday, June 13, 2018. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    More >>

    Migrant babies and young children are being held in special "tender age" shelters after being taken from their parents at the US-Mexico border.

    More >>
  • Lewandowski doubles down after comment about disabled child

    Lewandowski doubles down after comment about disabled child

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:41 PM EDT2018-06-20 16:41:31 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 2:43 AM EDT2018-06-23 06:43:29 GMT
    (AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File). FILE - In this April 28, 2018 file photo, President Donald Trump, left, watches as Corey Lewandowski, right, his former campaign manager for Trump's presidential campaign, speaks during a campaign rally in Washington Towns...(AP Photo/Paul Sancya, File). FILE - In this April 28, 2018 file photo, President Donald Trump, left, watches as Corey Lewandowski, right, his former campaign manager for Trump's presidential campaign, speaks during a campaign rally in Washington Towns...
    Corey Lewandowski doubles down on 'wah wah' comment on girl with Down's Syndrome.More >>
    Corey Lewandowski doubles down on 'wah wah' comment on girl with Down's Syndrome.More >>
  • The Latest: Hearing for parents accused of shackling kids

    The Latest: Hearing for parents accused of shackling kids

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:51 PM EDT2018-06-20 16:51:27 GMT
    Saturday, June 23 2018 2:43 AM EDT2018-06-23 06:43:22 GMT
    (Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP, Pool). FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, defendant Louise Anna Turpin, second left, talks with an investigator as her husband David Allen Turpin, right, looks on during a court appearance in River...(Watchara Phomicinda/The Press-Enterprise via AP, Pool). FILE - In this May 4, 2018, file photo, defendant Louise Anna Turpin, second left, talks with an investigator as her husband David Allen Turpin, right, looks on during a court appearance in River...
    A preliminary hearing has begun for a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children.More >>
    A preliminary hearing has begun for a Southern California couple accused of starving and shackling some of their 13 children.More >>
Powered by Frankly