ALABAMA (HawaiiNewsNow) - Close, but no cigar for the SandBows as their stellar season came to an end earlier this morning in a semi final match of the 2018 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship against No. 1 UCLA, 3-2.
Although they fought valiantly to the end, the Wahine couldn't keep up with the Bruins. Hawaii finishes its season with a record of 37-5 while the Bruins (39-4) advance to the NCAA finals against Florida State, who snapped Hawaii's 32-match win streak in Saturday's winners bracket match.
The SandBows lost to just two teams all season - UCLA (three times) and FSU (twice). This season marked the second-year in a row that the Wahine finished third place in the country.
UCLA 3, Hawaii 2
1. Megan McNamara/Nicole McNamara (UCLA) def. Maglio/Shucht (UH), 22-20, 21-18
2. Lily Justine/Sarah Sponcil (UCLA) def. Martin/Monkhouse (UH), 21-19, 23-25, 15-11
3. Kan/Weaver (UH) def. Zana Muno/Savvy Simo (UCLA), 21-19, 16-21, 15-12
4. Ozee/Homayun (UH) def. Mac May/Elise Zappia (UCLA), 21-16, 21-16
5. Izzy Carey/Megan Muret (UCLA) def. Dreeuws/Zalopany (UH), 21-14, 21-12