For the first time in 32 matches, the Rainbow Wahine beach volleyball team lost today in the semifinals of the 2018 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship to Florida State, 3-2.
The Seminoles (33-6) punched their ticket into Sunday's national title game while the SandBows(37-4) are still alive in their national title hunt. Hawaii will play No. 1 seed UCLA tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. HT with th winner playing Florida State in the final at 8 a.m. HT.
Hawaii’s last loss, coincidentally, came on March 10 against the same Florida State squad in the East Meets West Challenge.
Hawaii will now face UCLA (38-4) for the fourth time this season. The SandBows went 1-2 against the Bruins while playing them three times in the first five matches of the year.
Florida State 3, Hawaii 2
1. Vanessa Freire/Tory Paranagua (FSU) def. Emily Maglio/Ka'iwi Schucht (UH) 21-12, 14-21, 15-12
2. Katie Horton/Hailey Luke (FSU) def. Morgan Martin/Lea Monkhouse (UH) 14-21, 21-16, 15-11
3. Carly Kan/Laurel Weaver (UH) def. Sara Putt/Macy Jerger (FSU) 17-21, 21-19, 15-11
4. Amy Ozee/Ari Homayun (UH) def. Molly McBain/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU) 22-20, 21-16
5. Fitzpatrick/Goncalves (FSU) def. Dreeuws/Zalopany (UH) 24-22, 21-23, 15-12
Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii News Now
420 Waiakamilo Road, Suite 205
Honolulu, HI 96817
Main (808) 847-3246
News (808) 847-1112