Fire that forced shutdown of Kapahulu Safeway deemed intentionally set

Fire that forced shutdown of Kapahulu Safeway deemed intentionally set

KAPAHULU, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Honolulu fire investigators say a fire at the Kapahulu Safeway location last month was intentionally set.

According to fire officials, the fire ignited around 4:30 a.m. on April 29.

Eleven employees and three customers safely evacuated the store when smoke began filling the air.

Firefighters, 39 of them, responded to the 2-alarm fire. Upon their arrival, they found smoke coming out of the main entrance of the supermarket.

Once firefighters began battling the flames, it took them roughly 45 minutes to get it under control. By 5:40 a.m., it was completely extinguished.

"A working automatic fire sprinkler system reduced the intensity and spread of this fire," HFD said.

The store was temporarily closed for clean-up, but has since reopened.

Officials said damage was estimated at $100,000 to the structure, and $500,000 to its contents.

An arson investigation has been opened and is being handled by Honolulu Police.

No injuries were reported and no arrests have yet been made.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.