As the Hokulea continues on the Mahalo Tour, the voyaging canoe and her crew arrived in Milolii on the Big Island's Kona side Saturday.
To view the slideshow, some users may need to click here.
On Sunday, Hokulea will depart Milolii and sail to Kawaihae — a roughly six hour sail — where the canoe will be docked for school tours and community events until May 10, the Polynesian Voyaging Society said.
Here is the list of scheduled events:
- May 1 & 3: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Kawaihae Harbor — Open house tours of Hokulea
- May 3: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Kahilu Town Hall, Waimea — Panel presentation from the media with Oiwi TV who were embedded on the Malama Honua Worldwide Voyage.
- May 5: 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Kawaihae Harbor — Open house tours of Hokulea
5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Fairmont Orchid, Grand Ballroom — Panel presentation by Ohana Holomoana, 76’ crew
5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. canoe activities — Star compass, knot tying and other hands-on family-friendly activities.
6:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Video showing of Hokulea's Worldwide Voyage.
7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Meet the crew of Hokulea's 1976 maiden voyage and hear the stories that inspired the birth of the ohana wa'a
- May 6: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Lu'au Grounds — Panel presentation Pili Wehena'ole
- May 7 & 9: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Kawaihae Harbor: Open house tours of Hokulea
- May 24: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Kanu o ka Aina, Kamuela — Lecture series, Wa'a Talks, Malama Honua Community Panel