HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The No. 4-seeded Rainbow Wahine tennis team upset No. 1 seed UC Santa Barbara, 4-3 in the semifinals of the Big West Tournament at Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The Wahine and Gauchos were locked in a 3-3 tie, but senior Marina Hruba's three-set victory clinched the win to propel the 'Bows into Sunday's championship match against No. 3 Cal State Fullerton.
Hawaii improves to 12-6 overall while UCSB fell to 12-12.
Hawaii and Cal State Fullerton will face off in the BWC championship match on Sunday morning at 6:30 a.m. HT at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. This is the third consecutive season that the 'Bows have advanced to the finals. The 'Bows fell both in 2016 and '17 to UC Santa Barbara.
2018 Big West Women's Tennis Tournament Semifinals
Hawaii 4, UC Santa Barbara 3
Apr 28, 2018 at Indian Wells, CA
(Indian Wells Tennis Garden)
1. Petra Melounova (UH) def. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) 6-0, 1-6, 6-2
2. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Nikola Dolakova (UH) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Marina Hruba (UH) def. Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 7-5
4. Klara Pribylova (UH) def. Amit Lev Ari (UCSB) 6-1, 7-6 (7-0)
5. Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) def. Michelle Pits (UH) 6-4, 6-4
6. Roxanne Resma (UH) def. Lise Sentenac (UCSB) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
1. Palina Dubavets/Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Petra Melounova/Roxanne Resma (UH) 6-1
2. Lise Sentenac/Amit Lev Ari (UCSB) def. Klara Pribylova/Nikola Dolakova (UH) 6-4
3. Stephanie Yamada/Amanda Atanasson (UCSB) vs. Marina Hruba/Alzbeta Houbova (UH) 4-4, unfinished