HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - When you're busy, you might not have time to go to the gym. In this Sunrise Shape Up, we look into functional fitness and how you can fit in a workout in a busy schedule.
We have five exercises for you today that utilize body weight and the everyday park bench we pass everyday.
- Step ups: Starting Position Stand in front of a step or bench with feet hip-distance apart, and palms facing the body. Place right foot up on bench, inhale and push through heel activating your quads, glutes and hamstrings. Once the upward step-up is completed, bend right knee and step back down with left and then right foot to complete one rep. Complete 10 reps before changing sides.
- Single leg squat: Stand approximately one meter from with back facing bench. Keep your back straight and your hands by your side. Now place your left foot on the bench. Bend your right knee and lower your body as low as you feel comfortable to do so. Slowly return to starting position and repeat exercise. Complete 10 reps before changing sides.
- Knee tucks:Sit on the edge of bench with your legs fully extended in front of you and angled towards the floor. Place hands by your side and hold on for stability. Start by leaning back to about a 45-degree angle from the bench. Exhale and pull your knees in toward you at the same time moving your torso towards them. Return to the start position by extending your legs out and relaxing your abdominal muscles. Breathe in as you do this.Repeat motion and complete 10 reps.
- Dips: Sit on the bench and place your hands outside of your hips. Your fingertips should hang over the edge of bench.Then press up off the bench so your arms are straight and your bum is raised out and off the bench. Stretch your legs out in front of you. Bend your elbows and drop your butt down toward the ground, keeping your bum just slightly in front of bench. Drop down until arms end up parallel to the ground.Then press back up. Repeat action and 10 reps.
- Push ups on bench: Stand facing bench or sturdy elevated platform. Place hands on edge of bench or platform, slightly wider than shoulder width.Push body up until arms are extended. Arms should be perpendicular to body. Keeping body straight, lower chest to edge of box or platform by bending arms.Complete 10 reps.