HANALEI, KAUAI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Just days after the devastating flooding on Kauai, dozens of GoFundMe crowdfunding campaigns have been started to help victims.
GoFundMe has even created a central hub so donors can see them all in one place.
But before you give, the Better Business Bureau warns, do your homework.
GoFundMe is monitoring campaigns on its site, and will refund donations if money is misused.
But BBB also notes that a host of respected organizations (including the Red Cross and Malama Kauai) are also raising funds.
Here are some tips from the BBB on donating safely:
- Research the charity or campaign you're giving to.
- If you're giving to an agency, make sure they're a registered charity with the state.
- Watch out for vague appeals that don't specifically say how money will be used.
- Never click on links to charities on unfamiliar websites.
- Think about whether it's better to give to a newly-formed or established organization.
- Look into whether your donation is tax-deductible.