HFD determines what sparked a 2-alarm fire at a Palolo home

HFD determines what sparked a 2-alarm fire at a Palolo home

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A lithium ion battery. That's what the Honolulu Fire Department said sparked a two-alarm blaze at a Palolo home Saturday.

According to HFD, the battery failed in a model airplane as it was charging in the detached garage.

Flames broke out around 1 p.m. at a home on Keaolele Street.

The fire was contained to the detached garage. When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the structure.

Flames were brought under control and extinguished within an hour.

Investigators said damage was estimated at a total of $89,000.

Luckily, no one was injured.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.