Residential fire in Kalihi leaves man in serious condition - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Residential fire in Kalihi leaves man in serious condition

(Image: Hawaii News Now/file) (Image: Hawaii News Now/file)
KALIHI (HawaiiNewsNow) -

The Honolulu Fire Department responded to a residential fire in Kalihi Saturday morning.

At 7:11 a.m. HFD received a call about a fire at 1622 Maliu Street and arrived to find white smoke billowing from a window on the first floor of the two-story building.

There were two men and one woman inside at the time of the fire, and paramedics treated and transported one man who was in serious condition.

The 75-year-old man was taken to the hospital in serious condition with burns to his face and left arm.

HFD extinguished the fire at 7:40 a.m. and determined that the fire was an accident.

The fire was caused when the gas stove was inadvertently turned on while being used as storage. The HFD encourages residents to make sure they have working smoke detectors and to refrain from storing items on top of stoves — whether they use them or not.

The fire caused an estimated $2,000 in damage to the home and its contents.

This story will be updated.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly