2 Big Island students hospitalized after eating pot brownies

2 Big Island students hospitalized after eating pot brownies

KEALAKEHE, HAWAII (HawaiiNewsNow) - The suspected seller of the marijuana brownies that hospitalized two high school girls was transported to a juvenile detention facility Friday morning.

The student, who is not named, was charged with promoting a controlled substance on or near a school, as well as third-degree assault.

Hawaii Island Police investigated the incident and found the student to be in possession of additional pot brownies. A second student was also found to have pot brownies and marijuana in his book bag.

Police on the Big Island arrested two teenagers accused of selling marijuana-laced brownies that sent two Kealakehe High School students to the hospital on Thursday.

The first female student who ate one of the brownies was transported to the Kona Community Hospital after she passed out and had convulsions, police said.

Later in the day, another female student was admitted to the hospital for having an elevated heart rate that wouldn't subside.

Two boys who had brownies in their backpacks were arrested. According to a news release, the "responsible party" was taken to a Hale Hoomalu Juvenile Detention Center in Kapolei.

Both girls have since been released from the hospital.

Experts say eating marijuana is more dangerous than smoking it because of the delayed effect. It's also hard to know how much is being ingested.

Copyright 2018 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.