KEAAU, HAWAII (HawaiiNewsNow) - The damage estimate is in after lightning struck at a home on the Big Island Friday.
Officials estimate the bolt caused $2,500 in damage to the home.
It happened just before 4 p.m. Friday at the corner of 30th Ave. and Makuu Dr.
Homeowner Celso Samson said he was asleep when lightning struck his house.
Samson hopped out of bed and saw flames shooting up from his kitchen stove. That's when he ran outside for help and waved down a man who was driving past the house.
That man pulled over and immediately jumped into action.
"I made him show me where the fire was and I could see it was the stove on fire," said Lawrence Shupe. "It might have been 3 or 4 feet high coming out of the stove. I asked 'where are the lines, is it gas or electric?' He told me it was gas so I found the propane tank and I turned off it off."
In the frightening event, Samsom's dog Chico went missing.
"I'm looking for my dog, my loving dog," said Samson. "He got scared probably and he ran out and I cannot find him."
Chico is a male Chihuahua Mix with a multicolored collar.
Anyone who sees Chico is asked to call Hawaii County police.
No other injuries were reported.