Sexual assault reports against Wynn filed with Vegas police - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Sexual assault reports against Wynn filed with Vegas police

This March 15, 2016, file photo shows casino mogul Steve Wynn at a news conference in Medford, Mass. (Source: AP Photo/Charles Krupa) This March 15, 2016, file photo shows casino mogul Steve Wynn at a news conference in Medford, Mass. (Source: AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Two more sexual misconduct allegations were leveled against embattled casino mogul Steve Wynn on Tuesday, when police in Las Vegas revealed they recently received two reports from women saying the billionaire sexually assaulted them in the 1970s.

This was the first admission from police in Las Vegas about reports filed against Wynn since sexual misconduct allegations against him were revealed last month.

One woman reported Wynn assaulted her in Las Vegas and the other said she was assaulted in Chicago, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement. The Las Vegas case will not be investigated because the statute of limitations in Nevada is 20 years.

The victim of that alleged assault contacted the department from St. Louis on Jan. 29, three days after the Wall Street Journal reported that a number of women said Wynn harassed or assaulted them and that one case led to a $7.5 million settlement.

The other, filed in Las Vegas on Feb. 5, is being forwarded to the Chicago Police Department.

Details of exactly what transpired during the alleged assaults was not disclosed.

The billionaire has vehemently denied the allegations, which he attributes to a campaign led by his ex-wife.

"In the last couple of weeks, I have found myself the focus of an avalanche of negative publicity," Wynn said in the written statement that announced his resignation last week as chairman and CEO at Wynn Resorts. "As I have reflected upon the environment this has created - one in which a rush to judgment takes precedence over everything else, including the facts - I have reached the conclusion I cannot continue to be effective in my current roles."

Wynn Resorts spokesman Michael Weaver on Tuesday said the company does not have a comment on the reports filed by the women "because this involved a company before the establishment of Wynn Resorts."

Wynn is facing scrutiny by gambling regulators in Nevada and Massachusetts, where the company is building a roughly $2.4 billion casino just outside Boston. Regulators in Macau, the Chinese enclave where the company operates two casinos, are also inquiring about the allegations.

The Nevada Gaming Control Board on Monday set up an online form that allows people to report information on any of its active investigations. The reporting system was set up after the agency received numerous calls regarding the investigation against Wynn.

Wynn Resorts has also created a committee to investigate the allegations. On Monday, the group announced it was expanded its scope to review the company's internal policies and procedures to ensure a "safe and respectful workplace for all employees."

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Government shutdown endNational politicsMore>>

  • Vice president wants US businesses trailblazing into space

    Vice president wants US businesses trailblazing into space

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 10:43 AM EST2018-02-21 15:43:51 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 10:17 PM EST2018-02-26 03:17:18 GMT
    Vice President Mike Pence has brought a newly revived advisory group to Florida's Kennedy Space Center.More >>
    Vice President Mike Pence has brought a newly revived advisory group to Florida's Kennedy Space Center.More >>
  • Groups want details on Trump's approval of Keystone pipeline

    Groups want details on Trump's approval of Keystone pipeline

    Tuesday, February 20 2018 2:22 PM EST2018-02-20 19:22:00 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 10:17 PM EST2018-02-26 03:17:10 GMT
    Opponents of the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada are asking a judge to force the U.S. government to turn over emails and other documents related to President Donald Trump's approval of the project.More >>
    Opponents of the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada are asking a judge to force the U.S. government to turn over emails and other documents related to President Donald Trump's approval of the project.More >>
  • China paves way for Xi Jinping to remain leader for years

    China paves way for Xi Jinping to remain leader for years

    Sunday, February 25 2018 4:05 AM EST2018-02-25 09:05:47 GMT
    Sunday, February 25 2018 10:17 PM EST2018-02-26 03:17:05 GMT
    Chinese President Xi Jinping speaks during a joint press briefing with French President Emmanuel Macron, at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, Pool)Chinese President Xi Jinping speaks during a joint press briefing with French President Emmanuel Macron, at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2018. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, Pool)

    China's official news agency says the ruling Communist Party has proposed removing a limit of two consecutive terms for the country's president and vice president.

    More >>

    China's official news agency says the ruling Communist Party has proposed removing a limit of two consecutive terms for the country's president and vice president.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly