WAIPAHU, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - An elderly man is safe Monday after his Waipahu apartment unit went up in flames.
Firefighters responded to the Kunia Terrace apartments around 9:30 Monday morning where flames charred a second floor apartment in the three story building.
A man in his 70s was able to safely get out of the unit. The man reportedly lives at the apartment with his wife and son.
Neighbors assisted in extinguishing the flames with waters hoses.
"It was flames and then dark smoke. Emergency, they're so fast so at least (there was) only small damage in our unit," neighboring resident Melinda Asperin said.
Fire officials said the fire appeared to have started in one of the bedrooms and spread into the living room.
Some neighboring units were slightly damaged by smoke and water. The American Red Cross is assisting displaced residents.
What sparked the blaze is undetermined. HFD says the fire caused upwards of $120,000 in damage. Neighboring units sustained $1,000 in damage.
No injuries were reported.
This story may be updated.