Waianae man accused of shooting at police also wanted by 'Dog the Bounty Hunter'

Frank Hampp (image: Da Kine Bail Bonds)
Frank Hampp (image: Da Kine Bail Bonds)

WAIANAE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The man accused of firing shots at police officers during a high-speed chase in Waianae over the weekend had been a fugitive, not just from the law, but from Duane "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman.

Chapman said Frank Hampp, 34, called him from Oahu Community Correctional Center last year begging to him a chance at freedom. Hampp was in custody on a weapons charge.

Chapman said after researching him for several days, he decided to give him that chance.

"The words he told me, 'Dog, please help me. Please. You know, Dog, what it's like. Please be the one to help me,'" Chapman said.

Chapman said Hampp seemed sincere and wanted to change his ways.

"You just don't call me and say, I have the money, my mom and dad will put up the house, give me a shot…he was very respectful…he convinced me, his mom and dad who put up their house, his sister and everyone that he was gonna get out and do the right thing," Chapman said.

Hampp was taken into custody shortly before 4 p.m. on Sunday after a 15-hour standoff at the Waimaha-Sunflower housing complex off Mill Street.

Hampp is accused of stealing a vehicle then leading police on a high-speed chase, firing several shots at officers during the pursuit early Sunday morning.

Hampp has prior convictions for drugs, abuse, escape and burglary.

Chapman said his bail bond company, Da Kine Bail Bonds, put up his $70,000 on October 3rd but cut off his ankle bracelet on October 6th and failed to appear at his January 9th court date.

"The mother and dad…we went out there before he actually failed to appear, looking for him…and they were devastated, she was devastated. She was like, 'Oh my God, I can't believe that he would do this to me,'" he said.

Chapman's grandson, Dakota, who is also a bail bondsman said he took Hampp's disappearance personal.

"When we got a phone call that he took the ankle bracelet off, it was very disappointing. Personally, I took it to heart. Mostly because I was the one who met him in person, I was the one who put the ankle bracelet on him. I was there with him, and for him to do that, it was a really big slap in the face," Dakota said.

Chapman said he and his team had been out hunting Hampp over the holidays but couldn't find him.

The Honolulu Prosecutor's Office said they felt the $70,000 bail was appropriate.

Copyright 2018 HawaiiNewsNow. All rights reserved.