High-speed chase, 15-hour standoff lead to arrest of Waianae man

Image: Hawaii News Now
Image: Hawaii News Now

WAIANAE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Honolulu police arrested a man Sunday after a 15-hour-long standoff in Waianae.

Sources have identified the suspect as Frank Hampp.

Hampp surrendered and emerged in handcuffs shortly before 4 p.m. Sunday from the Waimaha-Sunflower housing complex off Mill Street.

Police say he barricaded himself inside the residence following a high-speed chase. Honolulu police and officers with the Specialized Services Division responded.

Sources say the incident began around 12:30 a.m. when officers conducted traffic stop in the area on a gray Nissan Maxima.

Upon stopping, the 46-year-old male driver exited and got on the ground. The passenger, a man in his 30s, got into the driver's seat and took off.

The 46-year-old told officers he didn't know the passenger and they only met the previous night. He said the passenger stated he had a gun and didn't want to go back to jail.

About 15 minutes later, another officer observed the Maxima and followed it, initiating a pursuit in the area of Mill Street and Waianae Valley Road.

The suspect fired several shots at officers during the pursuit, shattering windows on the Maxima.

At least one police cruiser sustained damage during gun fire.

The suspect drove back toward Mill St. where he collided with a house fence and a fire hydrant on Plantation Road before fleeing on foot.

Officers were able to contain the suspect within a one block radius and confirmed the suspect fled into an apartment unit at the Waimaha-Sunflower Housing Complex, belonging to his ex-girlfriend.

Police said a friend of Hampp who was inside the unit surrendered to police around 1 p.m. Sunday.

The American Red Cross opened a shelter at the Waianae District Park for residents who were evacuated during the standoff. The shelter closed at 4:30 p.m. and Mill St. was reopened.

Copyright 2018 HawaiiNewsNow. All rights reserved.