Business Report: The difference between the poverty line and actual poverty

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The new Aloha United Way study of household income finds 11% of local households live in poverty. But 37% more, get along only by making tough choices, forgoing car insurance, living somewhere unsafe. Put the two groups together and you've got 48% of all households struggling.  Very few stories we report have as broad an impact as that.

ALICE plus the poor - Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed
Honolulu 46%
Big Island 55%
Maui Co. 51%
Kauai 43%

Copyright 2018. Hawaii News Now. All Rights Reserved.