HFD puts out two separate house fires in west Oahu

HFD puts out two separate house fires in west Oahu

EWA BEACH, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - On Friday, Honolulu Fire Department crews extinguished two separate house fires.

The first fire broke out around 4:50 p.m. at a two-story multiple family townhouse on Makaalo Street in Ewa Beach. The fire was located in the corner of a first floor unit and crews had the flames out within 20 minutes.

Shortly after, just before 5 p.m., another fire broke out at a home on Alelo Street in Waikele. Eight units staffed with 30 personnel responded.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming out of the two-story home's garage. They found the car inside had ignited and crews worked to put out the flames.

The fire was out by 5:20 p.m.

Fire officials say the Waikele fire began when the owner went to start the car. The Ewa Beach fire was determined to have started from a clothes dryer in the laundry room.

In both fires, no one was injured. Damage estimates were not available, though both homes sustained smoke and heat damage.

Copyright 2017 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.