HFD: Fire at Ala Moana Center food court ruled accidental - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

HFD: Fire at Ala Moana Center food court ruled accidental

(Image: Hawaii News Now) (Image: Hawaii News Now)
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

A small fire that broke out early Tuesday at the Ala Moana Center food court was ruled an accident, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.

More than 20 firefighters responded around 2:50 a.m. to find smoke coming from the food court area. Upon further investigation, they found that the smoke was coming from the cooking area of the Aja Sushi and Bento restaurant.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames by 3:10 a.m.

Fire investigators said the stove was accidentally left on and ignited accumulated grease. They added the fire extinguishing system over the stove kept the fire contained to that small area and helped prevent more than $1 million worth of damage. 

No injuries were reported and no other restaurants or businesses were affected.

Damage is estimated at $45,000.

Copyright 2017 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly