Students were sent home early from Kahala Elementary School on Tuesday after several 17 and 3 adults were sickened by an apparent chemical odor on campus.
"Several people were experiencing nausea headache, dizziness, nothing life threatening," said Frank Gregorio of Emergency Medical Services.
A Department of Education spokesperson says the school began notifying parents of the closure and asking them to pick up their children at around 11 a.m.
"We worked with the school and decided to shelter all the children in place because each of the rooms is air conditioned and they are contained from the chemical smell," said Honolulu Fire Department Battalion Chief Geoffrey Chang.
The DOE says Kahala Elementary notified parents of the school shut down and to pick up their children around 11.
EMS says 8 children were later transported to a nearby hospital in stable condition after their guardians didn't pick them up.
Meanwhile, firefighters discovered the source of the odor at a construction site about one block away.
It was a pesticide so they worked with the State Department of Health Hazard Evaluation and Emergency Response office and an onsite contractor to contain and remove the hazard.
HFD says the container with the pesticide was broken and the label not readable. The Department of Health took samples for further identification.