White House: 'Standard' to review plans for North Korean attack - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

White House: 'Standard' to review plans for North Korean attack on Hawaii

(Image: WhiteHouse.gov) (Image: WhiteHouse.gov)
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

As tensions between the United States and North Korea rise, the White House said Monday it was "standard operating procedure" for officials in Hawaii to review emergency plans in the event of a nuclear missile attack on the islands. 

During the Trump adminstration's daily briefing, press secretary Sean Spicer was asked specifically about whether the president believed tensions between the two countries were high enough to warrant Hawaii officials conducting such a procedural review.

 "There are military contingency plans for almost every scenario, in numerous aspects around the world," said Spicer. "To make that in any way, shape or form sound new would be a mistake."

While the military may frequently update those plans, a resolution passed by the state House Public Safety Committee last week appears to indicate that the state does not; if signed into law, the resolution would help fund what's believed to be the first update to Oahu's nuclear response plan since 1985.

Copyright 2017 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly