Worker killed at H-POWER plant was father of 5, 'wonderful man' - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Worker killed at H-POWER plant was father of 5, 'wonderful man'

(image: Spragling family) (image: Spragling family)
Gulston “Gus” Spragling (image provided by: Crystal Spragling) Gulston “Gus” Spragling (image provided by: Crystal Spragling)
(image provided by: Crystal Spragling) (image provided by: Crystal Spragling)
NANAKULI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Just two weeks ago, Crystal and Gulston Sragling were celebrating their 12th wedding anniversary.

Now, she's planning his funeral.

Gulston "Gus" Spragling died last week in a workplace accident at the city's H-POWER plant at Campbell Industrial Park.

He leaves behind a wife and five children, 

"He was a wonderful man," Crystal Spragling said, through tears. "He was such a blessing to everyone he met, even strangers … he always went to work, even if he didn't want to, even when he was sick. He always went to work. He always took extra shifts to provide for his family."

Spragling was the sole provider for the family, but would never let a long shift or a long week keep him from enjoying the company of his family.

"Every time he would come home, he would always take me out to play football even though he was tired after working 12 hours," said his 10-year-old son, Titus. "There would be so much people playing with us, there was always two teams because he knew so much people."

Spragling played football for the Seariders and graduated from Waianae High School in 1993.

He worked as a heavy equipment operator for H-POWER for 15 years.

"The last thing we told each other was ‘I love you.’ He texted me about 30 minutes before the accident," his wife said.

Authorities said Spragling died of critical injuries to his lower extremities. Police say there was no sign of foul play.

A workplace fatality investigation is expected.

After Crystal Spragling got the news, "I couldn't think. I couldn't breathe," she said.

"I was just praying and praying ‘Lord please let him be OK, please let him be OK, please watch over him and keep him safe until I can get there."

Spragling said this week has been a nightmare.

He died five days after their wedding anniversary. She said they were planning on renewing their vows later this year.

Spragling said funeral services for her husband are set for Saturday, and everyone is welcome to attend.

For more information, click here

Copyright 2017 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly