Ammunition, propane tanks ignited in Palolo home fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Ammunition, propane tanks ignited in Palolo home fire

(Image: Hawaii News Now) (Image: Hawaii News Now)
PALOLO, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Firefighters had to fight a Palolo house blaze by air Tuesday after the owner informed them he had large stores of ammunition and propane.

The fire was reported around 10:45 a.m. in a house near Palolo District Park.

About half of the home was engulfed in flames by the time firefighters got there, and explosions could be heard in the area as the ammunition and propane tanks ignited. Fire officials said he had dozens of propane tanks on the property.

Making matters worse, the home was about 100 yards beyond a private bridge that couldn't bear the weight of fire engines.

The Honolulu Fire Department's Air One helicopter doused the home in water, and prevented flames from igniting nearby brush.

A 78-year-old man who lives in the home and his pets were able to escape without injury.

The cause of the fire is unknown.

A damage estimate from the blaze wasn't immediately available, but fire officials said the home is a total loss.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly