Court records: Suspect in road rage stabbings taunted victims, hit their car

Court records: Suspect in road rage stabbings taunted victims, hit their car
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Hawaii News Now)
(Image: Jester Marlang/Facebook)
(Image: Jester Marlang/Facebook)

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The man accused in the road rage-fueled stabbings on the H-1 Freeway made his first appearance in court Thursday.

Mark Char, 58, is charged with attempted murder and assault in the Monday incident, which left one man in critical condition and two others seriously injured. On Thursday, his bail was confirmed at $2 million.

Court documents say Char was taunting the victims as they drove west-bound on the freeway about 3 p.m. Monday. The documents say he then made a gun gesture with his hand and pointed at the driver of the other car, Jesther Marlang.

When Marlang pulled over near the Kunia exit, Char allegedly hit Marlang's car.

Both Marlang and his passenger, Deion Anunciacion, then got out of their car. That's when Char allegedly pepper sprayed Marlang and began stabbing him, court documents say.  Marlang was stabbed in the chest area, stomach, and arms.

The records also say he bit Marlang. Anunciacion was also stabbed in both arms.

Kaohu Detwiler, a sergeant on the Hawaii Air National Guard's Security Forces team, was driving eastbound as the chaos was unfolding in the westbound direction.

"I hopped the guardrail and once I got over the guardrail that's when I noticed the suspect with a spade-shaped knife in his hand," he said.

He says Char was holding the knife as he approached, then took off, leaving the two victims bleeding on the road.

Detwiler has some basic first aid and trauma training from the military so he began helping Marlang. "I just had gloves on and my hands were just on his stomach holding it down trying to apply pressure."

Within seconds, a nurse, off-duty police officers and deputy sheriffs, and another military sergeant also stopped to help. All of them worked together to get the victims aid. They applied pressure to the wounds using their hands, gauze and extra clothes.

They also were talking to Marlang, trying to keep him calm until paramedics arrived.

"When we heard the sirens, we started telling the patient on the ground, 'Hey you hear that, the sirens coming," Detwiler said. "They're coming for you and you're going to be OK."

Marlang remains hospitalized. Anunciacion was treated and released.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.