Geckos to blame for emergency siren malfunction

Geckos to blame for emergency siren malfunction

KULIOUOU, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Residents in Kuliouou can blame geckos for Wednesday's early morning wake-up call.

Or more precisely, gecko droppings.

Emergency sirens went off in the neighborhood before 6 a.m.

After investigating the malfunction, city Emergency Management Agency officials determined that the likely cause was gecko droppings.

"This is not the first time that a malfunction of this type has affected an outdoor warning siren," the city said, in a news release.

The city is working with its siren vendor to see how similar malfunctions can be prevented in the future.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.