Search continues after two bodies recovered off Kauai believed to be missing fishermen

2 bodies recovered off Kauai believed to be part of missing Oahu fishermen trio
Image: Chris Jensen
Image: Chris Jensen
Terry Teves (Image: Chris Jensen)
Terry Teves (Image: Chris Jensen)
Image: Chris Jensen
Image: Chris Jensen
Graphic: Hawaii News Now
Graphic: Hawaii News Now

ANAHOLA, KAUAI (HawaiiNewsNow) - The search will continue on Sunday for the third missing fisherman who went missing off Oahu's North Shore last weekend.

A helicopter searched throughout Saturday, but Kauai officials report no signs of the third body. A determination will be made Sunday morning on whether or not to continue aerial search.

Meanwhile, two bodies found off Kauai on Friday are believed to be those of the fishermen who went missing during a fishing trip last week. An autopsy is due for Tuesday.

Also, competitors participating in a fishing tournament off Port Allen have been briefed on the situation.

The three missing fishermen -- Klint Oshima, Jenson Loo, and Derek Tomas -- launched from Haleiwa last weekend and never returned.

The US Coast Guard, Navy, Marine Corps and Honolulu Fire Department covered more than 27,000 square miles over four days, before calling off the search Thursday night.

On Friday, fishermen Terry Teves says he spotted the first body floating roughly two and a half miles off Anahola. "He was in one piece and looks like he was out there for a while," Teves said.

Teves says sea conditions were rough.

His friends on a separate boat, then located an overturned vessel about one and a half miles away from the first body. The vessel was similar to the 20-foot fishing vessel found about 25 miles off Oahu's west shore earlier this week.

"It's (the ocean) is kind of sloppy, but it's how it always is pretty much every day," said Teves.

The Kauai Fire Department launched Whaler II from Waikaea Small Boat Harbor in Kapaa to recover the first body around 4 p.m. While heading back to shore, Air 1 helicopter spotted the second body two miles off Wailua.

Meanwhile, the Coast Guard say two life jackets were also found Friday morning. One of them was confirmed to have belonged to the missing boat.

"We were looking at six foot seas, which was difficult to see anyone who might be in the water," said Sarah Mooers, chief petty officer with the U.S. Coast Guard. "We really saturated the area and did everything we thought we could to try and locate these men."

Firefighters brought both bodies back to Waikaea Small Boat Harbor in Kapaa around 7 p.m.

"It's sad, but at least I found one of the guys," said Teves. "When I saw him I told myself I got to stay there so the family can retrieve him, you know, instead of wondering."

The Coast Guard says it doesn't have any other reports of missing people at this time or any active searches.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.