Child playing with lighter started Halawa apartment fire - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Child playing with lighter started Halawa apartment fire

(Image: Hawaii News Now/File) (Image: Hawaii News Now/File)
HALAWA (HawaiiNewsNow) -

A child playing with a lighter started a Halawa apartment fire on Friday that caused about $70,000 in damage, fire officials said.

The fire at 99-177 Kohomua St. started about 1:18 p.m. at a three-story apartment complex in Halawa.

Firefighters said the fire was contained to the living room of one of the apartments.

Two adults and three children at home when the fire started were able to get out safely.

In the wake of the blaze, the Honolulu Fire Department is reminding adults to keep matches and lighters out of reach of children in a locked cabinet.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly