Maui woman, 71, suffers serious burns after cleaning solvent catches fire

Maui woman, 71, suffers serious burns after cleaning solvent catches fire

A 71-year-old woman from Kahului sustained serious burn injuries to her body after the cleaning solvent she was using somehow caught fire Monday afternoon, the Maui Fire Department said.

Authorities responded around 2 p.m. to find the woman cooling her skin with running water. She was treated by Emergency Medical Services personnel and transported to the Maui Memorial Medical Center in serious condition.

It's unclear how the liquid product – used for cleaning auto parts – ignited.

Copyright 2016 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.